Bathtub drain smells sour. What will work?
The bathtub drain had been draining slowly and smelled sour. I removed the strainer, and pulled WADS of slimy hair out of the drain. The water drains smoothly now, so I think I got at least most of the hair.
Get the drainage in shape.
- Avoid food remnants getting into the drains system where by it would form a blockage.
- Keep hair out of your shower drains pipe with a grate or grill on the drain entry.
- Put on latex gloves when engaged on drainage pipes as they can be very greasy plus slimy.
- When you have a blocked drainage pipe a plunger must be the first thing you use.
I’ve tried bleach, but the smell returned immediately after the shower stopped running. Also tried baking soda and vinegar. Smell stopped only as long as I ran water down the drain. This seems strange and suggests that the water is masking the smell and the steps I have taken have not remedied the problem at all. Drains are a major headache to me particularly those in the region of the bathroom.
1) What could it be?
2) How to kill the smell for good?